GitHub Enterprise Server is constantly being improved, in terms of security and performance, as well as new features to make your developers happier and help them work more efficiently. GitHub strongly recommends that you upgrade your instance of GitHub Enterprise Server on a regular basis.
Ensure your upgrade is performed correctly with one of our experienced engineers as your co-pilot. After completing the upgrade, we’ll work with you to craft an internal playbook that will allow you to confidently perform future upgrades on your own.
- GitHub Enterprise Server administrators
Key Features and Benefits
- Upgrade your instance of GitHub Enterprise Server to the latest version
- Learn best practices and develop a playbook for safely upgrading with a GitHub expert
- Craft an internal playbook that will allow you to confidently perform future upgrades on your own
Additional scoping required
Additional scoping required
Our GitHub engineer will walk you through the documentation and recommended best practices for upgrading to GitHub Enterprise Server, and help you generate a playbook for future upgrades. If you have a staging or dev instance, we can walk you through a test upgrade and help determine criteria for validating successful upgrades prior to the production migration. In order to ensure that your system administrators are prepared to perform upgrades in the future, we will provide guidance as they perform the hands-on upgrade.
- Review upgrade playbook documentation
- Identify recommended validation steps
- Perform a dry-run upgrade (if applicable)
- Complete the production upgrade
After this engagement, your team will be able to:
- Safely upgrade GitHub Enterprise Server
- Test and validate the upgrade
- Document the upgrade process
- GitHub Enterprise access: For the upgrade tasks, we will need to work with someone who has access to the production GitHub Enterprise instance.
- Backup and High Availability Environments: Ahead of the GitHub Professional Services visit, please ensure one environment provisioned for the backup utilities and one environment provisioned for the high availability warm standby instance are readied. A staging environment also contributes to success of the upgrades. Documentation resources regarding these topics are included below.
- Backup Utilities: When performing an upgrade, we strongly recommend backing up GitHub Enterprise instance. We will go through the process of backing up with you but if you do not already have backup utilities set up, you will need to provision a machine with the required specifications.
- Maintenance Announcement: Notifying developers and current GitHub Enterprise users in advance of any maintenance window should help to minimize work disruption. The following links provide the documentation noting ways to enable and show the maintenance mode notification message as well as enabling maintenance mode itself.
- GitHub Enterprise release downloads
- Ahead of a GitHub Enterprise upgrade, please ensure the releases of GitHub Enterprise to which you will be upgrading, are downloaded: https://enterprise.github.com/releases/
- GitHub Enterprise provisioning, upgrading: We will guide you through the entire process of upgrading your GitHub Enterprise Instance. Should you wish to re-review the upgrade procedure, documentation and information are provided below.