Metrics around your organization’s development lifecycle are very useful when determining cost efficiency, effectiveness, and overall budgeting. Is your biggest concern cost per feature? New hire ramp up time? Using the data available through the GitHub API and a data visualization tool of your choice, your organization can piece together bits of information in a dashboard that provides valuable insight.
In this tailored engagement, our DevOps Engineers will work with you to identify the best course of action to creating meaningful KPIs, create a technical plan, pull the data that is necessary, and begin to visualize it in the platform of your choice.
- Development Manager/Team Lead
Key Features and Benefits
- An in-depth introduction to GitHub’s GraphQL API for more efficient data gathering.
- Identify existing SDLC integrations that might contain meaningful data.
- Utilize GitHub data to tell meaningful stories for each audience in your organization.
- Build and test a tailored integration to collect identified data.
Additional scoping required
Additional scoping required
This tailored engagement can be on-site or remote depending on your needs. GitHub Professional Services will work side-by-side your team to discuss the most important KPIs for your organization.
- Day 1: Discovery call to conceptually understand your needs. We will work together to identify the most important metrics that align with your needs and use the domain knowledge gained from working with similar customers to recommend solutions.
- Day 2: Discuss the creation of the queries to satisfy your requirements and align on the technical implementation requirements. Start brainstorming what will be needed, how the queries will be formed, and how we can automate the process of pulling the data.
- Day 3: Create a database schema and all associated relationships to store the API data for retroactive reporting.
- Day 4: Create necessary queries, create a datastore, and import the queried data into the appropriate tables by parsing the response JSON.
- Day 5: Assist with relating any third-party data to the data pulled from GitHub.
- Day 6: Use all of the data pulled to create a GitHub metrics dashboard using the visualization tool of your choice.
After this engagement, your team will be able to:
- Pull data with GitHub’s GraphQL API
- Contextualize metrics to understand complete story
- Analyze in you visualization tool of choice
- Collect data for organizations, repositories, teams and individuals
- A conceptual understanding of what type of metrics are most important to each audience listed above.
- Understanding how GraphQL works, how to form calls, paginate, and how to parse the return JSON object.
- A resource with deep knowledge and administration rights to the visualization tool that will be used to provide these insights.
- Access to a database to store the data on each API call for historical reporting.